Dried fruit is a great snack, flavor booster for endless recipes and a healthy addition to nearly any diet or nutrition plan. However, not all dried fruit is created equal! Traina Foods shares some fun facts about dried fruit and the Traina family, which has been producing naturally sun dried fruit for more than 90 years.
- Dried fruit is suitable for vegans, vegetarians, those with gluten- and nut-sensitivities. In fact all of Traina Foods are naturally gluten-free, and the company has strict procedures to ensure there is no cross-contamination from peanuts or any tree nut in their sun dried fruits. The products that contain nuts are actually produced in another dedicated facility for dried fruit blends, gift boxes and products that contain peanuts or tree nuts.
- Traina Foods processes more than 50 million pounds of fruit year each year by harnessing the power of the sun. The company also employs the use of solar panels so it can process more fruit for less energy than almost any other manufacturer in the country
- Dried fruits can last up to one year once they are opened. However, after opening, they should be kept in the refrigerator to maintain optimum freshness.
- Dried fruit is a great source of fiber. For example, a serving (1/4 cup) of Traina Foods California Royal Ruby Sun Dried Apricots and California Sun Dried Bing Cherries each contain 4 grams of fiber. Traina Foods California Organic Salted Sun Dried Tomatoes pack a whopping 11 grams per 1/4-cup serving!
- Dried fruits are low in calories but are very nutrient-dense. In addition to being great sources of fiber, dried fruits are super foods due to their nutritional values. For example, nectarines are an excellent source of vitamin C and potassium too.
- Some dried fruits are even credited with major health benefits. Dates for example are credited with reducing allergic reactions, strengthening bones, boosting the nervous system and even reducing risk of stroke.
- Dried fruit can be reconstituted to regain its fleshy moist texture, or used in wet recipes as is. They can liven up all types of meals from sweet treats to savory dishes.
The Traina Foods family is proud to be able to offer consumers – from home cooks to professional chefs and everyone in between – some of the world’s finest dried fruit. To learn more about Traina Foods company history, their best practices and fine recipe inspiration, visit www.trainafoods.com.